|The trainees today - quiz winner Alex is in the centre with the Champagne|
My colleague Mike Watson and I said goodbye to the Mail’s trainee subs and sports journalists in Kensington today. They have been covering football matches, editing breaking news, creating pages and adding to their skillset before they head off on their placements next week. They are a talented bunch and I enjoyed their company. I wish them well. As usual we finished with the newsquiz. This week’s winner was Alex Tyndall with 13.5 points. It also meant he was the top scorer over the four weeks and collected the Champagne. Well played Alex. Second, after a late but impressive run from the midfield, was Will Jeanes.Last week’s top online team scorers were Fionn Hargreaves and Jessica Walford and the Batstone Collective who both notched up 16. Nobody could match the 17 points by Mail trainee Daniel Matthews though. Here is this week’s quiz. As usual there are 25 questions about the week. Give it a go and let me know how you get on.
|Story of the week: The Daily Telegraph investigation that led to Sam Allardyce's downfall (Questions 1, 2 and 3)|
1. In a 'deal' with undercover journalists posing as businessmen, former England manager Sam Allardyce agreed that he would travel to which two locations as an ambassador? Half a point each
2. Sam Allardyce said he only went to his fateful meeting with the Telegraph journalists to 'do a friend a favour' because he was 'down on his luck’. Name the friend?
3. For how many days was Allardyce manager of England?
4. Jeremy Corbyn ended his hour-long closing speech to the Labour Party conference by promising to 'build a fairer Britain in a ______ _____’? What are the two missing words?
5. Shadow Defence Secretary Clive Lewis’s Trident speech was apparently changed at the last minute by Labour's communication director Seumas Milne. Milne is on secondment to the Labour Party from where?
6. The presidential debate between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump was watched by how many people on US TV, according to data provider Nielsen?
7. In which building was the memorial service to Sir Terry Wogan held?
8. Barack Obama posted a photograph of himself receiving a lesson in the Oval office at the White House. Who was his teacher?
9. What is the name of the Alton Towers parent company that was fined £5million for catastrophic failures which led to two teenagers losing a leg?
10. Why did Dr John Zhang go to Mexico?
11. He was born in Belarus in 1923, served as a prime minister twice and won the Nobel Peace Prize. Who is he?
12. Which airline was forced to deny it was going bust after rumours spread on social media?
13. Sir Bradley Wiggins obtained a TUE allowing him to use a banned drug before important races. What do the initials stand for?
14. How did David Cameron allegedly describe Theresa May for urging him to drop demands for tighter immigration controls?
15. Who designed the red and white dress worn by the Duchess of Cambridge in Vancouver?
16. Actor Marc Anwar has been sacked from Coronation Street for insulting Indians on Twitter. Which character did he play in the soap?
17. A New Jersey commuter train crashed into which station, killing and injuring passengers?
18. Pin badges are being handed out on London Underground. What two words are on the badge?
19. Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe has announced he will retire next February. How old is he?
20. British Airways will stop serving free snacks on shorter flights ... which retailer’s food will now be available for passengers to buy?
21. What is the title of the latest artwork - a 23 feet-high hand with a long thumb cast in bronze - to be displayed on the fourth plinth in Trafalgar Square in London?
22. Arcan Cetin appeared in court accused of killing five people at which store?
23. Ben Emmerson resigned from what?
24. The Ryder Cup is being held at Hazeltine National in which U.S. State?
25. Zoe Ball and Norman Cook issued a statement announcing they were splitting up, which said: 'After many exciting adventures together over the last 18 years we have come to the end of ___ ___.’What are the missing two words?