|The online trainees at Northcliffe House|
We finished the week, as always, with the newsquiz. This week’s winner was Isolde Walters with 11 points, narrowly beating Luke Barnes and Jess Walford who both scored 10.5. Last week’s online top scorer was Lydia Willgress with 14.5, who was just ahead of Sian Brewis on 14. It must have been a tough week. Here’s this week quiz - as usual 25 questions. Let me know how you get on.1. How many cycling medals in total did Team GB win?
2. Who described Laura Trott as a ‘pain the a***’? Name please
3. From which country has the first Olympic athlete been stripped of their bronze medal after a positive drugs test?
4. TV sports presenter Charlie Webster is seriously ill in a Brazilian hospital after cycling from London’s Olympic Stadium to Rio. For which charity was she fund raising?
5. Jade Jones retained her gold medal in taekwondo. What is her nickname?
6. Great Britain’s women’s hockey team meet the Netherlands in the Olympic final today. Who did Team GB beat 3-0 in the semi-final?
7. Laura Trott and Jason Kenny share a £500,000 three-bedroom cottage in picturesque Chelford. In which county is it?
8. Sellers and makers of which style of knife, which was used by killer Joanna Dennehy, could go to jail after the knives were banned by the UK government this week?
9. High street glasses chain Specsavers has applied to trademark which word in a bid to protect its advertising slogan?
10. Leigh-on-Sea has been named as the happiest town to live in the UK, which town did it knock off the top spot?
11. Estate agent George Low was stabbed to death in which resort?
12. Prosecuting solicitor John McDermott said: ‘They’d fancied themselves as Batman and Robin for years – but on the wrong side of the law’. Name the pair he was referring to. Half point each.
13. Who is taking over from the Met Office to supply the BBC weather service?
14. Why has five-year-old Omran Daqneesh been in the news?
15. Dalian Atkinson died after he was tasered by police outside his father’s home in Telford. Name any two of the English football teams he played for?
16. Successful PR guru Lynne Franks was criticised by her son for being an ‘absolutely awful’ mother who was ‘too selfish to raise children’. Franks was the inspiration for which TV character?
17. The newly-opened Adelphi pub in Dublin used what to decorate the back of its urinals?
18. What will be shown on all ITV channels between 9.30am and 10.30am on August 27 to promote I Am Team GB?
19. Why was Lorraine Chew in the news this week?
20. Who was charged under section 12 of the Terrorism Act 2000, only the second time such a case has been brought?
21. Which supermarket blamed the falling price of food as it recorded a 7.5 per cent drop in sales … its eighth consecutive quarter of decline?
22. Where did Simon S die?
23. Who said he would open 21 pop up shops around the world, (with the locations announced 24 hours before) so fans can buy merchandise?
24. Victoria Derbyshire showed Jeremy Corbyn a photograph of which television presenters that he failed to recognised
25. In the Labour leadership debate Owen Smith said 'I’m very good at singing along at ________ at Karaoke.' What was the song?