I have had a really enjoyable week with nine bright young journalists on the Daily Mail reporting diploma this week. Apart from setting up interviews, finding and writing Mail stories and having their work analysed in detail, they had sessions with media consultant Sue Ryan, the Mail's head of news Neil Darbyshire, Fleet Street veteran Craig Mackenzie and an evening with BBC presenter Jeremy Vine. Today they are talking to Mail on Sunday managing editor John Wellington and former trainees Mario Ledwith and Peter Campbell about what they can expect in the forthcoming year. As part of the course, to ensure they are reading the newspapers in detail, I set a weekly newsquiz. The quiz will run for eight weeks and below is number one. Congratulations to Olivia Williams who wins this week's scratch card with 15.5 points. Second was Francesca Infante with 12. See if you can do any better. A possible 21 points are up for grabs.
|Name the cheeky chap with Prince Harry (Question 1). |
Picture by the Press Association.
1. What was the full name of the six-year-old boy who was warned by Prince Harry not to mention Vegas?
2. Adidas has stopped making football boots made from the leather of which animal?
3. Theresa Villiers was appointed to which Cabinet position?
4. Keira Knightley stars in the film Anna Karenina which opens in the UK tonight. For one point, who wrote the book? For a bonus point which playwright wrote the screenplay?
5. Air hostess Stephanie Partington was sacked for being over the drink limit by which airline?
6. What is the name of the politician's wife who followed Prince Andrew down the Shard?
7. British tourist Saad Al-Hilli, his wife and mother-in-law were assassinated near which French lake?
8. Name the airline owner who called his passengers stupid for not being able to print off their own boarding passes.
9. Name the Green Mile actor who died this week.
10. Jessica Ennis has been given the freedom of which city?
11. Which company is opening a vegetarian eatery in India?
12. Vladimir Putin helped a flock of endangered cranes by doing what?
13. Who is the editor of The Times?
14. In which court did former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks appear this week?
15. Peter Norfolk announced his retirement after winning silver in the doubles tennis. What nickname is he affectionally known by?
16. Freddie Flintoff has taken up which sport?
17. Which soap actor believes there will be a 'spiritual vibration' in December during which the earth will cleanse itself?
18. What is the perfect number of ex-lovers, according to a survey by a dating website?
19. Why did millionaire Anthony Mead burn his wife's clothes?
20. The makers of which product were seeking a disclaimer from an Aberdeenshire chip shop?
The answers are here